Making Homemade Granola
Hello and welcome back! Let’s dive right into all things granola. I love granola. Maybe it’s because I live in the Pacific Northwest, a place known for granola-eating, tree-hugging hippies (guilty as charged). Or maybe it’s because ever since I was little, my mom would instill a need for “crunch” in every bite. If a sandwich didn’t have enough crunchy texture, we’d layer potato chips between the salami and tomatoes. And yogurt always had to be eaten with crunchy granola. So now I make a batch of granola a few times a month to snack on. And lately I’ve been experimenting with different flavor combinations in granola! Stay tuned for an epic sourdough discard granola. 😉 For now, let’s feast on this healthy, protein-packed, delicious almond cashew chocolate granola!
Enjoying Almond Cashew Chocolate Granola
One of my favorite ways to enjoy granola is using it as a crunchy topping to something that’s otherwise creamy. Like yogurt, ice cream and oatmeal. When you top this nutty granola on plain Greek yogurt, it packs a healthy punch of protein! The creamy, tangy Greek yogurt provides the perfect flavor and texture balance to the almond cashew chocolate granola, which is sweet and crunchy. Top everything with fruit, nuts and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup, and you’ve got yourself an impressive breakfast of champions!
And the pièce de résistance, my friends, is a generous drizzle of Wild Friends nut butter! I love the almond cashew super butter with this particular granola, since the flavors match so perfectly. But what makes this “super” butter? Well, a few things. First, Wild Friends doesn’t use palm oil, which you’ll find on the ingredients labels of many nut butters on the market. Palm oil contributes to deforestation so the more you can avoid it, the better. Second, this nut butter includes chia and flax for a boost of fiber, antioxidants and healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Finally, Wild Friends donates proceeds of this super butter to Save the Bee, giving back to the bees that created the delicious honey in this granola.
Almond Cashew Chocolate Granola
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup chopped almonds (or other nut of your choice)
- ½ cup chopped cashews (or other nut of your choice)
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup nut butter (of your choice)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil or melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup raw honey or maple syrup (to keep it vegan)
- ¼ cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a non-stick baking liner.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl until the oats are well-coated.
- Spread out the mixture in an even layer on the baking tray. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the granola is mostly dry.
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes, then enjoy!Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.