Living in Sync with the Seasons
Hello, friends! How are you? If you're in a colder climate, are you still covered in snow? We had crazy wind this week, as well as light snow flurries! Here in Portland, Oregon, we usually get one last hurrah of snow and cold in late February, before the rainy season of Spring arrives. And while it's easy to get worn down by cold, damp weather, I try to remind myself that all the rain creates snow in the mountains, which melts into clean, fresh drinkable water. This reminder to myself of the gift of rain (versus seeing it as a burden) fosters a sense of harmony with the seasons. When we live in sync with the seasons, we make room for gratitude and peace. A tangible way I strive to live seasonally is by eating foods available in my area in the current season. Thankfully, apples and pears that first became ripe for picking in Autumn are still in season! And this Winter oatmeal with stewed fruit is one of my go-to comforting meals.
Stewed Apples and Pears
I've been making stewed apples for breakfast since I was in high school, because it is so simple! All you need is chopped apples, a dash of cinnamon, and a tiny bit of water. Heat a pot on the stove for about 15 minutes, and the apples warm and soften. The water and cinnamon somehow make an amazingly delicious syrup that coats the fruit. It's like magic! And since pears and apples are generally in season at the same time, they pair (pear, get it??) well together!
Apples and pears are full of flavor and nutrients like fiber and vitamin C. If you live in a temperate climate like the Pacific Northwest, these fruits are a wonderful way to eat seasonally throughout Autumn and Winter. Let me know if you make this delicious & comforting Winter oatmeal with stewed fruit!
Other parts of the world with different climates have other arrays of seasonal food available during this time of year. Which is one of the many things that makes the world so incredibly interesting! What is in season where you live? This website has a number of resources to find out what produce is in season around the world.
MORE APPLE AND PEAR RECIPES
Pears and apples are in season in the Northern Hemisphere in late summer though autumn. These versatile fruits taste amazing in these delicious recipes.
- Pear Galette
- Apple Pie from Scratch
- Vegan Caramel Apple Crisp
- Homemade Apple Sauce
- Vegan Caramel Apple Dip
- Crispy Apple Chips
- Poached Pears
- Baked Oatmeal with Apples
Winter Oatmeal with Stewed Fruit
Stewed Apple and Pear
- 1 medium apple, washed and chopped
- 1 medium pear, washed and chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1â…“ cups rolled oats
- 2 pinches salt
- boiling water; enough to cover the oats divided into two bowls
- honey or maple syrup
- chopped nuts
- Place all the stewed apple & pear ingredients in a medium pot on the stove on medium-high heat. Cover with a lid until the water begins to simmer. Then turn the heat down to medium-low and keep covered with the lid, stirring occasionally. Simmer the apple and pear for about 15 to 20 minutes, until they have softened and a syrup has formed in the pot.
- While the apple & pear are stewing, prepare the oatmeal. Place 1â…“ cups rolled oats and a pinch of salt into two separate bowls (each bowl gets â…” cups oats).
- Boil water on the stove or in a kettle. Add just enough boiling water to reach the top of the oats in the bowls. Let sit for 5 minutes, then stir the oats.
- Add the stewed apple & pear to each bowl of oatmeal, along with the cinnamon syrup at the bottom of the pot. Top with chopped nuts and honey (or maple syrup to keep this breakfast vegan). Enjoy!