The Back Story
Hello there! My name is Carissa, and I'm so glad you found my little corner of the internet.
I love sharing German baking recipes for the beginner baker. Growing up in Germany as a kid shaped both my worldview and my love for Lebkuchen. <3
My family moved to Wiesbaden, Germany when I was five years old. So I gratefully spent my formative years eating as many doner kebabs, bratwurst, and scoops of ice cream as I could possibly manage.
Those early experiences as a kid instilled a deep love of German baking within my heart. Every Fall, I try to recreate those boisterous Oktoberfest memories with chewy, salty pretzels. And the cold, dark Winter nights are more enjoyable with a batch of comforting spiced Pfeffernüsse cookies.
These beloved recipes are my cherished links between the past and the present, and I'm so excited to share them with you!
In elementary and middle school, we had a German language class a few times per week. But I also made German friends outside of school, so I could teach them some English phrases in exchange for a chance to practice more German.
That's another reason why I love baking German classics - even just the names of these delicious dishes are a comfort to me. Whenever my dad bakes his annual Christmas Stollen bread, it reminds me of thrilling Christmas mornings as a kid, magical Weihnachts markets, and grocery store shelves lined with packaged Stollen that could never, ever compare to my Dad's homemade version. 😉
In Germany, baked goods taste different than in the United States. Cakes and bread aren't meant to stay pillowing soft for weeks at a time. Most German baked goods are best eaten fresh, the day of baking. Of course, there are some exceptions, like beloved Lebkuchen that are sometimes stored for months to allow the flavors to develop before enjoying them!
German baked goods from a Bäckerei (bakery) or Konditorei (confectionary) are truly something special. The enticing aroma of a fresh loaf of bread being pulled from a hot oven is intoxicating. And the rich, decadent layers in a Black Forest Cake are simply divine.
Join me as we explore the magical world of German baking, one slice or one cookie at a time! 🙂
Fun Facts About Me
- I dream of living on a homestead full of vibrant garden beds, a few independent cats, a loyal dog, and a flock of chickens.
- Friends is my all-time favorite TV show. Quiz me - I've seen every episode at least a dozen times.
- I'm obsessed with Harry Potter. I will win every trivia night that's Harry Potter themed.
- I love dancing, yoga and hiking.
- Sitting by a cozy fire wrapped in a warm wool blanket with a fiction book is my favorite.
- I have been bit hard by the travel bug. Will travel for food. Or for any excuse to go back to my roots in Germany.