Harry Potter Bangers and Mash
Harry ate bangers and mash for dinner before the first meeting with Dumbledore's Army in book five of the series. Bring the books to life with this incredible dish!
- 8 sausages, homemade or store-bought (your choice of meat or vegan)
Mash (Mashed Potatoes)
- 6 medium Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter (½ stick)
- 1 cup whole milk, half-and-half, or unsweetened non-dairy milk
- ½ tsp ground black pepper (or more, to taste)
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg (the secret ingredient)
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour (or a gluten-free flour blend)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- salt to taste, depending on the saltiness of your broth
Make your Mash
Peel and quarter the potatoes. Place them in a pot and fill it with water to cover the potatoes by about an inch of water. Bring the pot to a boil on high heat. Then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 25 minutes, or until a fork easily pierces the potatoes. Drain the potatoes into a colander. Add the potatoes back into the pot along with the salt, butter, milk, black pepper and nutmeg. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or a large fork until they are light and fluffy and everything is mixed together.*Note: don't over-mix the potatoes once they come together. Over-mixing can cause the starch in the potatoes to create a gluey gross mess.
Make the Onion Gravy
Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium-high heat.Reduce the heat to low and add the diced onion and cook over low heat until the onions are golden and caramelized, after about 30 minutes.
Add the flour to the saucepan and whisk until everything becomes smooth.
Increase the heat to medium and add the broth. Whisk constantly until it forms a thick and bubbling gravy.
Take a taste test and add more salt if needed.
Serve up your Bangers and Mash