With just 10 minutes of preparation, this easy gluten free chicken casserole will get a hearty meal on the dinner table. And this recipe is extremely versatile so you can use what you already have in your fridge.
About this Recipe
This is the best chicken casserole because you don't need to have pre-cooked chicken and pre-cooked rice on hand. Everything cooks together at the same time!
There's only about 10 minutes of active time to make this healthy casserole. The rest of the hour is spent with the dish in the oven, so you can get other things done around the house. Or cuddle up with a good book and get ready for some homecooked comfort food.
This chicken casserole is full of flavor from the coconut milk and spices. And because everything cooks at the same time, all the flavors meld together into a cohesive and delicious meal.
This gluten free chicken casserole is also dairy free. Canned coconut milk makes this dish extra creamy.
To be honest, I used to have a love-hate relationship with casseroles. I love their convenience - just throw some food in a dish, bake it, and dinner's ready! But casseroles can get real old real quick. Have no fear! This gluten free chicken casserole is full of flavor and it tastes amazing as leftovers with a few helpful tricks.
- Coconut milk - Full fat or lite (reduced fat) coconut milk both work in this recipe. Full fat coconut milk will create an even creamier casserole.
- Salt and black pepper - Bring out the flavors of the rest of the ingredients
- Garlic powder - Adds a mildly sweet garlicky flavor
- Paprika - Adds a smoky flavor
- Chicken - Use raw boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- Rice - Most types of rice work great in this recipe including white rice like jasmine or basmati, brown rice, and wild rice
- Fresh parsley or cilantro - Adds a fresh pop of green to an otherwise pretty beige dish
How to Make Gluten Free Chicken Casserole
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
In a mixing bowl, combine the coconut milk, salt, garlic powder, paprika and black pepper. Set aside.
In a 9-inch by 13-inch casserole dish, add the chicken and rice, then top with the coconut milk and spice mixture.
Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil bake for 45-50 minutes, until the chicken is 165°F and the rice is tender.
To serve, scoop servings onto plates. Top with fresh herbs and enjoy!!
- Add in vegetables like broccoli florets, diced bell peppers, spinach, peas and carrots
- Substitute coconut milk for heavy cream or whole milk
- If you don't like cilantro or parsley, use other fresh herbs like basil or thyme
- Sprinkle some gluten free breadcrumbs on top for added crunch
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese or parmesan on top before baking for a cheesy chicken rice casserole
- You can use cooked rotisserie chicken and cooked rice by baking the casserole for 35-40 minutes at 350°F.
Plenty of spices and coconut milk add tons of flavor to chicken casserole. And fresh herbs liven up any bland casserole.
Yes! That's what makes this the best chicken casserole! You don't need to have pre-cooked chicken on hand. Any bacteria are killed once the chicken reaches 160°F.
Yes, it is essential to cover your chicken casserole as it bakes to trap all the steam inside the dish to cook the rice and chicken.
A little bit of spice from hot sauce or chili flakes helps food taste less bland. Sprinkle something crunchy like bread crumbs to avoid leftovers being mushy. And a generous helping of fresh herbs on your reheated leftovers can revive them with color and fresh flavor.
Storing and Freezing
Fridge: Cool leftovers to room temperature then store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezer: Cool leftovers to room temperature then store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheating: Place your serving on a microwave safe plate and microwave on 1 minute intervals, stirring after each time. Top with fresh herbs.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
If you enjoyed this chicken casserole recipe, try these other easy chicken recipes!
- Chicken Fajita Tray Bake
- Spicy Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Chicken Caesar Salad
- Thai Chicken Tacos with Peanut Sauce
- Bulgogi Chicken
- How Long Can Chicken Stay Out
Gluten Free Chicken Casserole
- 14 ounces coconut milk (1 can)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup uncooked white rice like jasmine or basmati
- ½ cup fresh parsley or cilantro, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the coconut milk, salt, garlic powder, paprika and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a 9-inch by 13-inch casserole dish, add the chicken and rice, then top with the coconut milk and spice mixture.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil bake for 45-50 minutes, until the chicken is 165°F and the rice is tender.
- Serve topped with fresh herbs. Enjoy!!
- Feel free to add in vegetables like broccoli florets, diced bell peppers, spinach, peas and carrots
- You can substitute coconut milk for heavy cream or whole milk
- You can use a cooked rotisserie chicken and cooked rice by baking the casserole for 35-40 minutes at 350°F