I’ve been wanting to make a big batch of rösti for a while, because it’s comfort food to me. Rösti is kind of like the Swiss version of hash browns. It consists of shredded potatoes packed together into pancake shapes and fried in a little oil so they are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I remember as a kid living in Germany, my family would fry up a ton from IKEA. 🥔 And then I thought, hey, why not make them with zucchini instead of potatoes, since I already have a ton of zucchini from my sister’s garden this year? These tasty zucchini fritters are sort of like baby rösti, zucchini-style. And zucchini fritter tacos are a delicious way to eat up this nutrient-rich squash!
With the crunch of green onions and the zing of a few key seasonings, you’ll want to eat the whole batch! Which is actually better, since anything fried tastes best fresh. I stored extras in the fridge, with each layer of zucchini fritters separate by a paper towel. I just reheated them in the microwave because when I’m hungry, I’m not picky, but they may retain more of a crunchy texture if you reheat them in the oven.
Zucchini in a Taco
You may be thinking that zucchini is a weird addition to the beloved taco. But hear me out. If you’re bored of grilled chicken tacos, try a grilled zucchini taco! You’ll get a healthy does of vitamin A and vitamin C! Or is your Taco Tuesday getting tired of fish tacos? Look no further than fried or blackened zucchini tacos! The possibilities are endless to create more plant-forward recipes. You can increase your fiber, vitamin and antioxidant intake while still eating scrumptious tacos.
Besides the great health benefits of zucchini, this squash also maintains its structure when steamed, baked, grilled or fried. These zucchini fritter tacos won’t fall apart in your hands. But watch out, because they’re so tasty that they’ll be gone in a flash! Or if you’re not a fan of zucchini, try roasted cauliflower tacos with kimchi!
And if you want to make your own corn tacos from scratch, check out the instructions and recipe here!
Zucchini Fritter Tacos
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- ¼ cup flour (or gluten-free flour blend)
- ¼ cup diced green onions (both white and green parts)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 corn taco shells
- 2 cups corn kernels (I used a frozen bag and heated it in the microwave)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans
- hot sauce of your choice, for drizzling on top
- Squeeze the shredded zucchini in your hands or in a kitchen towel to wring out as much moisture as possible. In a mixing bowl, combine the shredded/drained zucchini, flour, diced green onions, salt and spices.
- Heat the vegetable oil on medium high heat in a large skillet, preferably with higher sides so the oil doesn't splash out. Using two small spoons, scoop small dollops of the zucchini fritter batter into the hot oil. Flatten them a bit with the back of a spoon. The batter may need to be cooked in several batches, so the fritters aren't overlapping or too crowded in the pan. Fry the fritters on each side for about 3 to 5 minutes, until each side is golden brown and crispy. Flip them over with tongs so each side gets cooked.
- Warm the corn kernels and black beans in separate dishes. To assemble your tacos, dollop some warm corn and black beans on a corn shell. Top it with a few hot zucchini fritters and a drizzle of hot sauce. Add any extras you like, such as more green onions, cilantro or diced avocado. Enjoy!