This recipe for easy tuna and cauliflower rice is so simple and quick! The tuna and vegetable mixture can be combined in a few short minutes. And the cilantro lime cauliflower rice takes just 15 minutes if you’re making it from scratch with a whole head of cauliflower. But if you really want to make this easy-peasy, you can buy a bag of frozen cauliflower rice!
I’ve tried a lot of different cauliflower rice recipes. Sometimes they can be dry and tough. Other times it’s a big mushy mess of soggy cauliflower. But this recipe cooks the pulverized cauliflower in olive oil on the stove for about 10 minutes to develop the perfect texture. No steaming required!
Seriously, this easy tuna and cauliflower rice is the perfect weeknight recipe to get dinner on the table in 20 minutes. You can also make a large batch of the cilantro lime cauliflower rice and have it prepared in the fridge for the rest of the week. If you’re looking fore more easy weeknight dinners, try fried salmon and cauliflower puree or easy chicken casserole.
Why You Should Make This Recipe
- Tuna is inexpensive and available in most stores, since it can be canned or packaged to prolong its shelf life.
- When you eat tuna, you get a healthy dose of omega-3 fatty acids. Just 3 ounces of tuna packs a punch of about 25 grams of protein!
- At only about 110 calories, tuna is a low-cost, low-calorie, high-protein source of nutrition.
- Cauliflower rice stays soft in the fridge after a few days, unlike grain rice which can get hard and crunchy after just one day.
- This recipe is super easy to meal prep. Portion out the tuna & bell pepper mixture and the cauliflower rice into airtight containers. Top each portion with sliced avocado and a wedge of lime.
- It tastes great served hot or cold.
Ingredients Needed to Make Easy Tuna and Cauliflower Rice
- Tuna – It is important to note that tuna is a commonly over-fished animal. I like to refer to the site Seafood Watch to know which tuna is the safest to buy both for the environment and the fishies. 🐟
- Bell peppers – Adds bulk to the meal along with vitamins and antioxidants. You can substitute any raw or cooked vegetables you have on hand or that are in season.
- Greek yogurt – Adds additional protein while making the tuna mixture extra creamy.
- Salt & Pepper – The classic seasoning duo for all great dishes to bring out the flavors of the whole meal
- Red Chili Flakes – Optional to add a little kick of heat
- Avocado – Use ripe avocados to add a creamy texture to each bite
- Cauliflower – Can’t have cauliflower rice without the cauliflower
- Olive oil – Use extra virgin olive oil stored in a glass container for the best flavor and health benefits
- Garlic – Garlic + cauliflower + olive oil is a match made in heaven
- Lime – Use fresh lime. The bottles of pre-squeezed lime juice contain all kinds of chemical preservatives that can ruin the flavor of your meal.
- Cilantro – This brightens up the whole dish. Store leftover cilantro like flowers in a glass with an inch or two of water in the fridge.
How to Make Easy Tuna and Cauliflower Rice
There are two ways to make cauliflower rice. The quickest way is to buy a bag of frozen cauliflower rice from the store and just nuke it in the microwave. The longer (but in my opinion, more delicious) method is to pulverize a head of cauliflower in a food processor, then cook that on the stove in some butter or olive oil.
1. Make the easy tuna salad: In a large mixing bowl, combine the tuna, diced bell peppers, Greek yogurt, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Set aside.
2. Prepare the cauliflower: Cut up a head of cauliflower and pulverize it in a food processor or blender until no large chunks remain. It should resemble white rice.
3. Heat the olive oil and garlic: In a large skillet on medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the minced garlic and cook for a few minutes, until it is fragrant but not browned.
4. Cook the cauliflower: Add the pulverized cauliflower and salt, and stir everything together. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook the cauliflower until it is soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Season and enjoy: To serve, add some of the tuna mixture and the cauliflower rice on a plate. Top with avocado slices, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, and cilantro.
More Uses for Cauliflower
Cauliflower can also make a great substitute for mashed potatoes. Just sauté some cut-up cauliflower in butter. Then add water and salt and boil the cauliflower for about 10 minutes, until it’s soft. Drain the liquid and mash it all up into a delicious, creamy side dish without adding any dairy “cream”!
Is cauliflower rice better for you than white rice?
Cauliflower rice contains far more B vitamins than white rice. Cauliflower also contains more fiber, less carbohydrates, and more minerals. Overall, cauliflower rice is healthier than white rice.
Does cauliflower rice taste like white rice?
Cauliflower rice has more of a cabbage flavor versus a grain flavor, so its tastes differs from white rice. But cauliflower is like a flavor sponge, and it can absorb the seasonings and sauces you add to it, making it extremely versatile.
Is cauliflower rice filling?
Yes! Cauliflower rice is super filling because it contains lots of fiber, which helps us feel more full for a longer period of time.
Does cauliflower rice make you bloated?
Cauliflower is in the Cruciferous vegetable family, which are known to cause gas. These veggies contain the same complex sugar called raffinose that’s in beans. Therefore eating large quantities of cauliflower rice could cause gas and bloating. The easy tuna salad helps balance out the cauliflower.
Easy Tuna & Cauliflower Rice
Tuna Taco Bowls
- 10 oz tuna, packaged or canned
- 2 roughly diced bell peppers (your colors of choice)
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt, plus more for topping on each bowl
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes (optional, to add some heat)
- 1 avocado, sliced, for topping
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for topping
- chopped cilantro, for topping
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the tuna, roughly diced bell peppers, Greek yogurt, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Set aside.
- Cut up a head of cauliflower and pulverize it in a food processor or blender until no large chunks remain. It should look somewhat similar to white rice.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.Add the minced garlic into the hot oil and cook for a few minutes, until it is fragrant but not browned.
- Add the pulverized cauliflower and salt, and stir everything together. Cover the skillet with a lid and allow the cauliflower to cook until it is soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- To serve, add some of the tuna mixture and the cauliflower rice on a plate. Top with avocado slices, fresh lime juice, and cilantro. Enjoy!