Happy National Read Across America Day [yesterday, March 2nd]! What better way to celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday than by making a treat from my FAVORITE BOOKS EVER?! Harry Potter and the Delicious Pumpkin Pasty!!! O_O
I thought about making something like green eggs and ham to honor Dr. Seuss, but I have this thing where I like want to eat all the food I make and well, I’d really rather not eat green eggs. Or ham. So – feast your eyes on the magic of pumpkin pasties! I have been obsessed with the Harry Potter books (and the movies and the merchandise and the theories and the books related to the HP world, and the amusement park and Emma Watson) since my older cousin first loaned me the first four books of the series. I started reading them and I have been under a spell since… Not really, but I love Harry Potter :p
These delicious pumpkin pasties are right out of The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook by Dinah Bucholz. This cookbook has everything, from treacle tart and rock cakes to spotted dick and haggis!
I HIGHLY recommend you make these pumpkin pasties. The crust is literally like the best, most flaky, butter, yummy pie crust you’ve ever eaten. And the filling is like the pumpkin pie my family used to make for Thanksgiving before they got too lazy and now just buy that gigantic atrocity from Costco. These pasties are basically like mini hand-held pumpkin pies. Thanksgiving-on-the-go. Best invention ever.
So, as you might have noticed in the photo, I used a glass as both my rolling pin and my dough cutter. It worked. Sort of. It worked good enough to make bomb pasties, so kudos to me and ten points for Ravenclaw 😉
When I eat these, I imagine I’m in the Great Hall in Hogwarts, enjoying a meal with all my classmates and friends. Or perhaps at the Burrow, and Mrs. Weasley has just pulled a fresh batch of these pasties from the oven. <3
from The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook by Dinah Bucholz
makes about 6 pasties (plus deconstructed pumpkin pie nachos – see below)
– 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used Bob’s Redmill gluten free 1-to-1 flour)
– 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 5 Tbsp cold butter, cut into chunks
– 3 Tbsp vegetable shortening, chilled and cut into chunks (instead of shortening, I just used more butter)
– 4 to 6 Tbsp ice water
– 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
– 1/4 cup granulated sugar
– 1/8 tsp nutmeg
– 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon (I used like 1/4 tsp or maybe more)
– Make the crust: pulse the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor about 15 times, until the mixture resembles a course yellow meal.
– Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Sprinkle 4 Tbsp ice water over the mixture. Mix together with a spatula until it clumps together. Add more water, 1 Tbsp at a time if it’s too dry. (I needed 6 Tbsp of water in total.)
– Gather the dough in a ball & pat it into a thick disc. Wrap it in plastic wrap & refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
– Make the filling: combine the pumpkin, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon in a bowl.
– Preheat the oven to 400 F.
– Roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thick. Use a saucer to cut out 6-inch circles.
– Put 2 to 3 Tbsp of the filling in the center of each circle of the dough. Moisten the edges with water, fold the circle in half over the filling and pinch the edges to seal the now half-circle. Crimp the edges with a fork to seal. Cut 2 or 3 tiny slits in the top of each pastry to make vents.
– Bake on an ungreased sheet for ~30 min, until browned.
You didn’t think I was going to write this and NOT include random Harry Potter facts and trivia, did you?! DID YOU KNOW…
+ The shortest book (Chamber of Secrets) was the longest movie.
+ The longest book (Order of the Phoenix) was the shortest movie.
+ There are 700 different fouls in Quidditch.
+ Harry Potter’s favorite food is treacle tart.
I didn’t want to waste the leftover pastry crust and pumpkin filling. So I shaped the extra crust into little triangles and baked them on the same baking sheet with the pasties. And like magic, I made deconstructed pumpkin pie nachos! Muahaha! Truly though, this was so fun and yummy. You should try it. Like right now 😉